Got off work early tonight, so I thought I'd knock out a quick post. I know it's only been a day since my last post. Don't get used to it. BTW, you may notice that some of these builds I did for Origins 2013 are not up to my usual quality. That's because they were done on a very tight time table with a small budget. I only had about three weeks (while working 60hrs a week) to complete three major builds and a few small ones.
So for this year's LARP, "The Strange Tower High in the Mist", one of the key scenes was a funeral. The Game Master was insistent that he needed a coffin for the procession and service. Of course he would have been happy with a long cardboard box with a sheet over it, but I would not have. This build took me about seven hours to complete (not including drying time) and wasn't even started until the day before we left for Origins. That's one of the reasons why there are so few pictures.
I started with two sheets of 3/8" plywood, a few sticks of 2x2 (actually, recycled ripped down 2x4s), and some brass drawer pulls. I needed this coffin to be light weight, cheap to build, simple and easily transportable. After a few aborted design concepts, I decided on a flat pack design which would be assembled on site with minimal effort.
The foot and head ends were cut to 16"x24". A stick of 2x2 was set upright along the corner, sitting on top of the 2x2 frame of the bottom side. it was cut to meet the bottom of the frame that would be on the lid, i.e. 16" minus the thickness of the top frame (2") and the bottom frame (2"). Two of these uprights were cut for both the head and food panels. They were screwed in place along their edges.
Preparing the Drury Lane Pantomime, Part 3, 1901 - Making masks for pantomime in 1901. Related posts: - Preparing the Drury Lane Pantomime, Part 2, 1901 Plaster casts, needlework, and trick props a...
14 hours ago