For as long as my family has owned this building, we have had sheets of drywall, plywood and other sheet goods stacked up against the wall right by the garage door opening. When sheet good stocks were high, it made pulling into the building with a car a bit of a tight squeeze. So, I decided to move these materials farther into the shop and store them in a custom sheet goods rack that I added onto the end of a loft space, where we currently have lumber stored. Here are a few pictures of the construction of the new rack.
|The empty space at the end of the loft, where I will build my rack.|
|2x4 frame for the base|
|Base frame covered in plywood.|
|The first row of uprights anchored to base and ceiling.|
|Slats on the back wall for anchoring, and so sheet goods don't hit the drywall.|
|The back half of the bays are now assembled.|
|Note that the bay on the right is slightly wider, and it is split half way up.|
|Finally! Man, that was a lot of pocket holes.|
But Wait, There's More...I've been working on tuning up the long neglected woodworking tools in my father's shop, which includes sharpening the chisels and hand plane blades. Sharpening is something both my father and I royally sucked at, but I've been watching YouTube videos trying to improve my technique, and experimenting with new jigs for sharpening. One of the jigs I wanted to try is a strop (polishing) wheel made from MDF and charged with polishing compound. If I mounted an MDF disk to a face plate, I could run it right on my lathe.
But I only have one commercial face plate and I will need more than one polishing wheel with different compounds on them. Fortunately I can make as many face plates as I want out of wood with this handy dandy spindle tap.
To start with, I will need a block of wood. A scrap of 2x4 from the cut off bin will work fine. First I'll square it up on the table saw, than I will take out any cupping in the board with the belt sander. I need the faces to be nice and flat and parallel to one another.
Exciting stuff, yes? I know, you couldn't care less. I'll get back to making tomes and props eventually. Probably. If I'm around. You never know.
Just in case anyone cares (really, I know you don't), I did make a few modifications to the MDF disks from what you see above. They were a little wobbly when running on the lathe. To combat this, I spun them on the lathe and used a gouge to take off the corners of those square mounting blocks, as best as I could without hitting the screws. This improved the balance considerably. Then I used a parting tool and a scraper (turning tools) to "true up" the face of the MDF disk. Also, a sanding block was helpful in that respect. After a little time and care, now they run much more true and balanced (no wobble or vibration). I made four more of these disk assemblies, and on my second batch, I turned the square mounting block round on the lathe after cutting the threads, but before gluing on the MDF. I also trued up the face of the block a little before gluing on the MDF. I decided the screws were overkill, and just used glue to attach the MDF on the second batch of disks.