Monday, April 9, 2018

Here Be Demons

The Ars Goetia is the first section of a 17th century grimoire known as the Lesser Key of Solomon. It is basically the yellow pages of conjuration. Personally, I stay away from conjuring or summoning of any kind. It's just not my bag. But for those who do, the 72 demons described in the goetia will take care of most of your needs.

I have a large collection of craft store pre-made boxes of various types and sized, and recently I decided to start purging that collection in favor of making my own better quality boxes out of nicer wood. Among those craft boxes, I found this one which looked to be the perfect size and shape to hold a collection of sigils from the Lesser Key.

The lid of the box was laser engraved with the Secret Seal of Solomon, a protection talisman. It was hand sanded and finished with about seven coats of wipe-on polyurethane (note to self: use a pre-stain sealer first next time). The first coat was tinted with a walnut stain. The cards are printed on 60 pound parchment stock, and cut apart by hand.

This project was largely economical in its purpose. I intend to sell these sets in my shop. It is also a way to get rid of some cheap wood boxes by classing them up with my new laser cutter. So, win-win.

No comments:

Post a Comment