Thursday, September 6, 2018

Planchettes v1.5

My planchette project started out as a quick weekend thing, and it turned into a three month long saga. This project took for freaking ever to wrap up, and I still have some more woods that I would like to make some out of, but I need to walk away.

So, while waiting for the black marbles, my 40mm glass cabochons arrived. I had saved about half of the second batch to experiment with insetting the glass cabs into the open hole.

This second style (I guess we could call it v1.5) has a slightly bigger hole that was set a little farther back on the body of the planchette. I used a 1-5/8" forstner bit to cut about half way through the wooden body (it was as close to 40mm as I could get without a metric forstner bit set), and then I used a 1-3/8" forstner bit to drill the rest of the way through. This gave me a small rim to rest the edge of the cabochon in. This ledge is visible in the pictures above, and this is the underside of the planchette.


 This batch I finished a little differently than the first two. These were finished with three coats of tung oil, and then followed up with a coat of paste wax.


 I attached the marble feet first, using E6000 glue and drilling recess holes, like before.

The flat side of the cabochon faces down, and from the top side, the domed side of the cabochon pokes up a little through the slightly smaller hole.The glass cab was glued in place from the underside. The glass cab has a nice magnifying effect for objects seen through it. I think it will work well for reading the letters of the spirit board through the hole. A small bead of E6000 was run around the lip of the hole, and the cab was dropped in.


 I didn't like the black marbles I waited so long to find, so I ended up using 10-12 mm marbles I found at Michael's.



 Here are the third batch, all finished. Many of these will be going in my Etst store, and some will be sold in my shop.

Cherry


Cherry


Mahogany


Mahogany


Elm


Mahogany


Mulberry


Elm


Mahogany


 I'd still like to make some planchettes out of hickory and walnut, but I have to set this aside for now. I'm planchetted out.

No comments:

Post a Comment