The past few weeks have been spent preparing for a convention called Con on the Cob. Over the past few years, Rogue Chtulhu has been making a larger and larger presence there. This year, we took things up a notch, and that included several small builds from yours truly. Lets start things off with a look at my second attempt at a turn of the century style phonograph prop.
Some of you will remember my Steampunk Phonograph that I posted about previously, which was made as a LARP prop for Origins. My second phonograph was made as decoration for a prohibition-era themed party at Con on the Cob, called the Friday Night Speak Easy. For the second version, I re-used the black and gold cardboard horn from the first phonograph prop, but a new body and plumbing were created. This version would look much more like an actual phonograph from the period, without the laser pointer stylus. I would, however, use similar plumbing pipe and fixtures for the brass-work, simply because it was easy and convenient (and I was under a time crunch).
I recently acquired a vintage victrola and a crap-ton of 78rpm disks from a friend who was moving cross country. So I decided to use the vintage disks instead of my poorly fabricated cylinders from version 1. That meant a new body, so that's where we start. The new body was made from some scraps of 3/8in. plywood, some 1/4in. luan paneling, and some molding strips.
lighting rig expansion. The top is a scrap piece of 1/4in. Luan paneling.
Because I only used glue, and no nails or staples, I put some reinforcing strips of molding (some may have been thin scraps of plywood) on the interior side to give it more strength and stability. The bottom of the basic box was left open.
I looked for a little while to find something to use as a bracket to hold the horn assembly up. I finally settled on a bit of brass scroll work that came from a decorative sconce. It is a little weak for the weight it must hold up, but it looks nice, and though it sags a little with everything assembled, it is holding up so far.
While I was looking through my parts bin for brass bits, I found a nice brass lion head drawer pull that provided just the right amount of ornamentation for the front panel.
As for the stylus, I got lucky and found a part form my junk bins that was about the right shape and fit into the pipe end perfectly. It's a cheap tire pressure gauge. I took off the stickers, popped off the glass, ripped off the dial pointer and flipped the dial face backwards so it appears to be blank silver. I put the glass back in place and removed the tip so it would fit better into the diameter of pipe I had chosen.
I hope you all enjoy this fun little prop. I have a few other small builds from the Con on the Cob show, that I will be posting soon, and who knows, depending on how soon a find another day-job, I may have some more good stuff on the way.