|This is not a pic of the book, just an image of the cover art.|
The original image was red on a black background, but I had to reverse it so that I could see it. I used sulfur free oil based modeling clay to make a sculpture of the design and then I made a silicone rubber mold of the sculpture.I then cast it in black polyurethane plastic resin.
I used the original book's boards and just recovered them with the vinyl. They seemed sturdy enough, but somehow they felt more flimsy after I was finished. Maybe the glue from the vinyl softened them somehow. They are serviceable, but I would be happier if they were a little stiffer.
As I was finishing this up, his mother sent him over with an old bible that was in bad need of repair. It has carved olive wood boards from Jerusalem, but the end papers and the leather spine were almost disintegrated. That will be my next project.