I'm not really a big fan of puffy-paint (aka, dimensional fabric paint), but I wanted to spice up these sketch books a little bit, and I didn't want to invest a lot of time or effort into them. They started out as Alvin brand large format sketch books, that I bought in bulk at Marc's. These things normally sell for $10-$20 each new at the art supply store (depending on where you shop). I found them on sale for less than half that, so I bought all that they had (at three locations). These sketch books make great Books of Shadows. For those of you who don't know what that is, a BoS is a grimoire. It is a spellbook/diary for a person who practices magick (I'm talking about witchcraft, not stage magic). They can be plain, or ornate, and are usually personalized to some extent.
I started off by making a stencil of a triquetra, and a pentagram, using my photocopy and vinyl contact paper method that I also use on glass etching and marble etching. Then I spray painted the designs in gold and silver. I left them like that for several weeks, content to let that be the extent of the mod. I figured, a blank book with a pentagram on it is worth a couple of bucks more than a blank book with nothing on it. I put four of them on the shelf that way, and sold one. When the others did not sell after a month or two, I decided they needed something more.
I used a black Sharpie to sketch out a vine pattern on the cover, intertwined with the emblem. Then I traced this design with iridescent green puffy-paint. Then I outlined the emblem with iridescent silver puffy-paint. I didn't like the way the silver emblem showed through the leaves, so I decided to paint in the leaves. Lastly, I decided to add some leather snap closures to the cover. I had never used snaps before, so I had to do a little experimenting with them to see how they worked. I added the snap base to the front cover, one near the top, and one near the bottom of the closing edge. Then I put the other half on a piece of green leather, that I glued into a strip, doubled over. The other end of the strip I glued (using Barge brand cement), and then riveted, to the back cover.
One the one with the gold pentagram, I decided to skip the ivy and add some corner pieces like I use on the prop books I made. I did use puffy-paint to outline the pentagram, and I made the same type of leather closures, but I used brown leather and brass snaps.
I've already begun modifying some of these large format books with some of my more involved recovering techniques. I have two of them in production right now. I should have them finished and ready to post in a week or so.
Dragonbone Sword
-
The next Elder Scrolls game is still years away, but we still have Skyrim.
Metalmade Crafts returns to our pages with this excellent recreation of the
D...
16 hours ago




No comments:
Post a Comment