I LOVE this gun! The Nerf Maverick Rev-6 has beautiful lines. It just screams to be tricked out steam-punk style. A few months back I stumbled on some pics on the internet of one of these that someone had repainted in a somewhat steam-punk style, and I just fell in love. I had never had much interest in Nerf guns before, and I had never heard of this particular model. I started snooping around and found dozens of sites where people had made modifications to various Nerf guns, both physical mods and paint mods. Who knew there was a whole sub culture of people out there that modified Nerf guns? Immediately I had to have one. At 4:00 in the morning, after reading about a dozen webpages about Nerf mods, I ran out to Wal-Mart to find one.
If you've never seen one of these in its natural state, here a re a few pics. Even without any modifications, it's a beautifully designed piece. It fires six foam darts in (reasonably) rapid succession, from a working revolving barrel which swings out just like a real revolver for reloading. It reminds me of "The Samaritan" from "Hellboy". My friend thinks it looks like a "bolt thrower" from Warhammer 40k. They are surprisingly inexpensive (around $9) and shoot fairly well for a toy. Mine shoots about 25 feet reliably (with about a 2 foot drop) and is accurate to about 6" at that distance (indoors).
I took mine apart to repaint it. The insides are not too complicated, especially if you read a primer beforehand and know what to expect when you open it up. I didn't go crazy with the physical mods, but I did pull out the air flow regulators and cut off the center pin guides so it could fire home made darts (called "stefans", after the guy who first made them). Despite what I had read, I didn't really see much performance improvement from these mods. I actually think I may have lost a little power. I also carved off the "Nerf" logo and the "Caution: Do not shoot in eyes" warnings, but left the "N-Strike" logo and "Maverick Rev-6" markings. My primary area of interest was paint.
I used spray paint for most of the parts. I used a hammered copper for the top slide, trigger, front barrel edge and muzzle. I used bronze for the main body of the barrel. I used a gold/brass for the back of the barrel, grip butt and rear hammer tip. The main body of the gun is done in hammered black metallic. You can't really tell that I used a "hammered" finish paint. For some reason the hammered part just never materialized. I guess it had to do with the atmospheric conditions at the time. I like it this way better anyways. The brown handle and brass rivets and screws are the only parts I painted by hand. I also did a little dry-brushing for highlights and used a black sharpie to darken some of the crevices to make it look a little more realistic. Without those little touches, the paint job seemed kind of flat and fake.
It's a simple paint scheme, and I basically copied it from another I saw on the internet, but I like it a lot.
Preparing the Drury Lane Pantomime, Part 3, 1901 - Making masks for pantomime in 1901. Related posts: - Preparing the Drury Lane Pantomime, Part 2, 1901 Plaster casts, needlework, and trick props a...
14 hours ago